Monday, March 22, 2010

Bumper Sticker Christianity

Ever been behind a vehicle in traffic that had a really catchy saying pasted all over the back of it? Perhaps you've seen something like, "My child is an honor roll student at Such-and-such School." One that really got me was one that said, in extremely tiny print, "If you can read this, you are following too close." However, one that really bugged me was a license plate that read, "GODB4US"

"Why," you may ask. Well, the reasons are simple and few. First, the idea that you can shrink the importance of a simple prayer, "God, be for us," onto something as small as a license plate number is preposterous. I mean, shouldn't our prayers, however simple they may be, be held in higher reverence? Furthermore, having such a license plate has the potential to decrease the feeling of need to actually spend time in prayer. We may be tempted to think, "Oh, I've got the license plate, I'm covered." Wrong. Prayer should be holy and should actually consist of time spent communicating with a omnipotent God who loves His people very much.

Second, anyone can have such a license plate. And if you think about it, we can go as far as to say that most people who would even dare to have such a symbol on their vehicles are Christians. (I say this from the perspective of one offended by such a symbol, not that I really am.) So, if this is true than any person who has such a symbol is claiming to be a Christian. Yes, this is a really far stretch to imagine but what I'm getting at is based off this and the passage found in 1 John 1.

If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not live by the truth.

Now I'm not saying that the person who had that license plate was lying or making God out to be a liar, I'm just saying that we must be careful that if we have such symbols, we should make sure that our lives match up with what we claim or we have the potential of making God out to be a liar. This applies to any and every form of this. Including bumper stickers. People are watching us. What will we show them?

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the matter.

Please comment and lemme know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment