Sunday, March 7, 2010

World Hunger and Other Problems

So, the other day, I was talking to a friend of mine and we discussed the importance of feeding the hungry. World hunger is something that never really bothered me up until recently. I always thought that it was just something that we would have all the time. But it doesn't have to be.

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they recklessly spend their money on things that don't matter, like roadtrips, football games, movies, cable/satellite, etc. Sure there is a time and a place for everything but if people have soooooooo much excess in funds, don't you think they could at least spend the same amount on helping someone who can't help himself? Priorities, man, priorities.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that football games are bad. I'm not saying that taking roadtrips is bad. I've even seen some really good movies in my life. There are some really good TV shows out there, too. (Dirty Jobs w/Mike Rowe is a really good one if you have a strong stomach.) What I think is the important issue is that if we can spend all this time, effort, and money on ourselves and turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to those who look at us and idolize us for our riches, then something is seriously wrong with us. Right now there are people in Haiti who cannot help themselves. Without the generous support of other nations, they would be starving and dying. Some of them are anyway. It saddens me to think about it. But at least we are helping.

And there are kids in Africa who go for days without food b/c they have no parents, or their parents are simply unable to feed them and provide for their livelihood. This saddens me, too. I've seen the pictures and it tears my hear in pieces every time I see them. A tear falls to the bottom of my soul as I cry to the Father for someone to help them.

Then it hit me. The issue is not what we do with our money, time, and other resources. The issue is why we do with our money, time, and other resources. I know why I do what I do and it's to make sure that Jesus shines through my every deed and thought. Why do you do what you do? Is it for yourself or for your family and other people who may or may not help you back, or is it for Someone who loves and cares for you and will reward you for everything you have done--good or bad?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on that matter. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment